Saturday, November 8, 2014

Creating Affirming Environments

            I would love to one day open my own Family Child Care Home. With the right resources and support it is very possible. There are many elements to think about to ensure a welcoming, anti-bias, and developmentally appropriate environment.

I would first have a welcoming entrance that has flowers and greenery to give an esthetic and bright appeal. I would make sure to have posters, images, and wall decorations that reflect various people of different cultures and abilities. The music I play will be diverse and reflect the families I serve. It will allow for plenty of space and options for children to learn and develop in a multicultural setting. Through the use of toys, dress-up clothes, books, artwork, games, and languages, the environment will support all the children’s cultures, language, and backgrounds and I will make sure everyone can feel comfortable and safe being themselves. Chairs, tables, and tools are adapted to fit children according to their size and abilities. Books, music, and other media will be carefully reviewed before given to children to examine any prejudice, discrimination, or stereotypes that may be incorrectly conveyed. At the beginning of each day that a new child starts, I will ask her family to create a family tree that has pictures and names of the people in the child’s family. These will be displayed on the walls on eye level. This will hopefully help comfort the child and help others discover about their new friend. Derman-Sparks & Edwards (2010) states that having parents help create the curriculum by including their own personal culture and customs helps create a more anti-bias environment. This is one element I would add to my preparations. It will be my main goal to make sure each child that comes to my home feels that they can see themselves in the environment.  In my Family Child Care Home, I want all the children to feel comfortable doing their daily routines, customs, and behaviors that they do at their home. Through positive interactions and anti-bias approaches, each child will be respected and loved for who they are no matter how different. 

Reference
Derman-Sparks, L., & Olsen Edwards, J. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and
ourselves. Washington, D.C.: National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).

No comments:

Post a Comment