Saturday, January 11, 2014

My connections to other teachers

This week, I connected with a teacher working in Morocco. I found her by searching for "teachers who travel for work" in the google search engine. Her blog showed up and I found it very interesting. She shares resources for teachers all over the world. I found it very useful if you would like to see also: http://www.rakisradresources.com/

She travels for work teaching at various schools from around the world. Her home base is in Georgia. She teaches 3 rd grade. One thing I found most interesting about conversations is the main goal the country has for their children. She says learning multiple langues is a main focus for teachers in Morocco. The language "of the streets" is Darija, a distinct dialect of Arabic mixed with French, Spanish and Berber.  Schools are differentiated by the main language of instruction.  Public schools teach in Classical Arabic (which is quite different from Darija), but must offer at least a little bit of French.  Most private schools are bilingual - half French and half Arabic.  Her sons attend a school like this. There are also private schools where the main language of instruction is French, but at least a little bit of Arabic must be offered.  At the most expensive and exclusive end of the spectrum, are the International and Spanish schools, where the main language of instruction is English or Spanish with at least a little bit of French and a little bit of Arabic offered.  She teaches at the International School of Morocco where the main language of instruction is English, but French and Arabic are offered daily.

As a teacher, she uses differentiated instruction, project based learning and the flipped classroom model.  She is very constructionist in nature and encourages her students to connect their learning to their own personal experiences to build their own understanding.

She is referring me to another teacher that she knows that works in Australia so I am excited to learn more about teaching there. In the following weeks I will be able to share more of that. 

A website I love using is zerotothree.org
I signed up to receive newsletters for Baby to Kid and Baby's Steps. I like this organization because I love working with very young children and I want to make sure I know of any new research that comes out. This website is easy to use and understand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment