Saturday, July 5, 2014

New class, new insights

This week I will be sharing someone whom I look to for advice and an example of how to communicate more effectively. 

                
                 The first person that comes to mind who uses effective communication is my mother. She is smart, funny and knows how to get her point across. She has always taught me new perspectives through her witty use of words. She gets me more than most people I know and that helps her to explain things to me in a way I understand. Unlike me, reading is big hobby of hers. It is because if this hobby that she has learned many words that most people don’t use or even know about. She has taught me these words and I hope I will learn to love the hobby of reading like she has. I almost always go to her for clarity on the things I struggle with. Honestly, I can surly count on her and my husband when I need advice.

                She is a professional who counts on her communication skills to lead her team at work. I look up to her as I grow professionally myself. I hope I can improve my effective communication skills to be as good as her as my conversations at work grow more crucial and important to achieving my goals for myself and the young children and families I serve. I am looking to her to guide me in my goal to become a better leader and communicator as needed in the early childhood field.  

3 comments:

  1. Jalice,
    I like how you look up to your mother professionally. Unfortunately, this seems to be a dying trend in my opinion. I am curious to know why you believe having a large vocabulary with words that many people do not know is a tool for an effective communicator. Vocabulary is important but I would think knowing how to communicate with words that most families can understand would be more effective. Any thoughts? It sounds like you have a strong role model that will help you be as successful as you desire for your career.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Megan,
      Thanks for your comment. To answer your question, I think it's great to have a large vocabulary. I didn't mean for my comment to say that I think it's great to have a large vocabulary of words that most people don't know. I was saying only that it's great to have a large vocabulary. Me pointing out that my mom uses words I don't hear most other people say was just an observation of mine. Does that make better sense? I probably should have used separate sentences instead of combining the two thoughts into one sentence lol. Like you say, it would not be good to use words most people don't know because then they wouldn't understand what you are saying. I hope I clarified that better.
      ~Jalice

      Delete
  2. Jalice,
    I really enjoyed reading about your mom. I think it is great that you have such a close relationship with her. I did not truly appreciate my mother until I was an adult. I wish that I had spent more time studying her when I was younger. I now have a great relationship with my mom and I am constantly seeking her advice. You will be a great leader and communicator because you have the best teacher.

    Keli

    ReplyDelete