Saturday, July 27, 2013

Quotes from leaders in the Early Childhood field


Here a few quotes from some leaders in the early childhood field that I am fond of. The first one is said by Sylvia Chard:

 "Students not only need to know how to use a skill but also when to use it. They need to learn to recognize for themselves the context in which the skill might be useful and the purposes it can most appropriately serve"



I like this quote because I believe it is important for early childhood professionals and teachers to understand this truth. There is more than one objective in knowing a skill including knowing when to use the skill and with whom (if that be the case).



 Another quote I like from Dr. Chard  (whose work is from the early childhood sector) is:

 "One of the major advantages of project work is that it makes school more like real life".



She is referring to her work with Project Approach. A website that helps educators and early childhood professionals teach children through projects. Projects help engage children's minds. Dr. Chard is explaining that when children are doing a project, they are thinking critically much like how you need to think in the real world.



Lillian Katz, professor at University of Illinois, has said many education quotes. One I picked is:

Experts generally agree that taking all opportunities to read books and other material aloud to children is the best preparation f ... or their learning to read. The pleasures of being read to are far more likely to strengthen a child's desire to learn to read than are repetitions of sounds, alphabet drills, and deciphering uninteresting words."



This quote is good because it explains more specifically how reading is loved by children. It also helps teachers understand exactly how you helping children learn by reading to them often.



Dr. Katz also said:

"Of course children benefit from positive feedback. But praise and rewards are not the only methods of reinforcement. More emphasis ... should be place on appreciation--reinforcement related explicitly and directly to the content of the child's interest and efforts."



I like this quote a lot. She is basically saying that our genuine appreciation for a child's own work and/or their excitement for an activity is positive feedback for them. Its good to know we can reach children in so many ways. Children thrive on positivity and aim to please.



Here some motivation quotes that resonate with me from a couple of leaders in the field.

Louise-Derman Sparks said this in reference to her first teaching experience. It was at a pre-school for low income families:

“It was the most joyful experience where I felt like everything in me was being called on to teach. It was very rewarding. It made me feel whole and creative. It became my lifelong work. It became my passion to make sure that all children are taught in environments and in ways that truly nurtured their ability to grow and develop.”

 

I really enjoy this quote because I feel the exact same way. I feel whole when I am teaching young children. All children deserve an early education and my passion is driven from knowing I can give children what they need to grow and develop healthy.

 

Another one I like from Raymond Hernandez, a school director, is very motivational:

“My passion comes from my intrinsic motivation. Every day I go to work, I look forward to it because I know the services I provide for children are to their benefit. It is not to benefit me. It is more to benefit them. I’m not here to save the world. I’m here to make a difference in the community I am working. To me, making a difference is helping that one child to be successful in the classroom. To me, that one little sparkle will make a difference for me throughout the whole day. Whenever I get bogged down by all the paperwork I have to do, I take 20 minutes to go see the children so that I don’t forget what I’m doing this for.”

 

I wanted to share this excerpt because it expresses what I think many early childhood professionals can relate to. Sometimes in the field, a job requires us to do things that are not part of our passion and that can demotivate us. Whether its paperwork, setbacks or meeting deadlines, they happen and it helps to remember why we do what we do and how much we are helping our community.

 

Im going to conclude this post with a quote from someone not in the field but is a motivational speaker:

 
“People often say motivation doesn’t last. Neither does bathing-that’s why we recommend it daily.” ~Zig Ziglar

1 comment:

  1. Jalice, I learned from the quotes you posted, and also from your thoughtful analyses. Important benefits of the Project Approach are the critical thinking and problem solving skills involved. And it was great that you selected Dr. Katz's words about praise in your posting. There has been much written about the use of "Good job" to affirm children's work in early childhood programs. Overuse of this kind of praise can create 'praise junkies'--children who are reliant on external praise as a motivator. You noted that praise needs to be genuine, so important! I love when teachers use focused descriptive words to pay attention to a child's work, rather than relying on empty praise, which is never genuine. Thanks for your insightful post! -Susan

    ReplyDelete